Although Acne is more common in teenage due to hormonal changes in the body, sometimes it can continue even in adulthood which can be distressing. Yuvanapidika (Yuvana meaning youth and Pidika meaning skin eruptions) is the Ayurvedic name for pimples / acne. During puberty or menopause due to the influence of hormones, the oil secreting glands called sebaceous glands become more active secreting sebum in excess. This excessive sebum clogs the skin pores leading to the formation of acne. Sometimes pimples are not only painful but they leave behind scars.
Causes of Acne
Acne can occur due to many reasons -
1. Hormonal changes as in puberty, PCOD, menopause, etc.
2. Excess oiliness of skin caused due to excess sebum production or application of oil based creams
3. Use of aggressive chemical products
4. Bacteria or infections
5. Certain medications like steroids, oral contraceptive pills, etc.
Mostly people opt to topical creams or lotions, chemical based soaps and antibiotic treatment which only worsens the condition. But Ayurveda helps to fight against acne and keep the skin healthy with intake of herbs and simple amendments in diet and lifestyle.
Simple tips which help in Acne
- Remove make up before going to bed.
- Use chemical free products on skin.
- Avoid over usage of cosmetics.
- Avoid scrubs.
- Avoid pricking with nails as it will rupture acne leading to permanent scars.
- Wipe your face gently with tissue to remove excess oil from the face.
- Avoid application of oil on scalp after shower as it may make your face oily resulting in aggravation of acne.
- Wash face 3 - 4 times a day with lukewarm water.
- Sleep for 7 - 8 hours at night. Go to bed before midnight.
- Avoid staying awake at night.
- Reduce stress.
- Avoid excess sun exposure.
- Drink atleast 2 - 3 liters of water.
- Reduce excess intake of non vegetarian food.
- Eat low fat dairy products.
- Include bitter vegetables like spinach, bitter gourd, etc in diet.
- Entail the use of spices like coriander, cardamom and fennel in diet.
- Reduce excess intake of chili, fermented food, junk food, deep fried, oily and spicy food, pickle, sauces, tomatoes, raw onion, garlic, mustard, hot pepper, sour fruits, salt and refined sugar.
- Mix one tsp of multani mitti (fuller's earth), half tsp of powders of dried rose petal, orange peel, neem leaves and basil leaves and 1/4 tsp of turmeric. Mix this with sufficient quantity of rose water or honey. After cleaning face with water apply this paste as face mask for 5 - 7 minutes on face. Then wash it off with plain water. Do this twice or thrice a week.
- For acne scars, Jatiphal (Nutmeg) powder can be mixed with rose water and applied externally twice a week.
- Triphala cold infusion can be used for face wash. Soak 1 tbsp of Triphala coarse powder in a glass of water and leave it overnight. Next morning it should be filtered with a fine cloth and used for washing face. Then face should be patted dry. This will help in painful acne with pustules.
Herbs that fight against Acne
Turmeric - Improves skin luster.
Neem - Has blood purifying and anti bacterial effect.
Raisins, Anatamool and Sariva - Coolant and blood purifying action
Chandana - Coolant
Amalaki (Indian gooseberry) - Antioxidant.
Some Ayurvedic formulations which help in acne are Avipathikar churna, Triphala guggulu, Khadirarishta, Chandanasava and Saribadyasava.
Do you find acne distressing and annoying? Try the above simple yet effective remedies which will help you to get rid of acne easily.